Your future can be negatively impacted by a felony conviction in a many ways. You may find it difficult to get hired, hard to vote or get approved for a loan. You can become ineligible for certain licensing, gun ownership, food share and other benefits. Worse, if you have two prior felony convictions, your third can result in a substantial prison sentence. This is due to California’s much debated and evolving three-strikes law. If you are facing felony charges in the Bay Area or anywhere in California, contact Thompson • Garcia Law today for help.
We have been defending people against felony allegations for decades. Ultimately, our goal is to prevent the charges against you defining the rest of your life. We can work to build a strong defense that protects your interests. With a team of experts, we can examine the evidence against you. No matter the details of your alleged crime, we have reliable strategies that can help mitigate the risk of conviction.
What Does a California Felony Crime Attorney Do?
An attorney is necessary if you want to have any hope of beating the charges against you. To avoid conviction in felony charges, our lawyers will challenge intent. This is because intent is a commonly used prosecution strategy. First, we can build a narrative that highlights facts that challenge intent. Afterward, we can scrutinize evidence and speak with witnesses. If you are charged with a felony crime in California, our firm can help with:
- Proactive intervention: The California court can react favorably to pretrial intervention. Since this is the case, our attorneys can advise you on actions that may exonerate you.
- Keeping your record clean: Having a felony offense on your permanent record can hurt you. Fortunately, many criminal offenses can be sealed or dismissed from your record. For instance, California Penal Code 1203.4 states you have the right to file a petition to expunge charges. If successful, this petition can protect future employers or creditors from knowing about your conviction.
- Thorough, Strategic Representation
- 65 Years of Combined Experience
- No Case Is Too Big
- Spanish-Speaking Services
What Crimes Are Felonies?
Almost any crime can result in a felony conviction. Usually, the court will take some issues into consideration to determine what crime is a felony. For instance, the judge may consider your previous record. For this reason, it is important you contact a defense attorney as soon as possible. A criminal defense attorney can investigate if your rights have been violated during your arrest. Depending on certain details, charges can be dropped if this is the case. However, if they cannot be dropped, we can work to reduce your felony to a lesser offense. Some examples of common crimes that can result in a felony conviction include:
- Driving Under the Influence: Some people believe that a DUI, OWI or DWI is limited to a misdemeanor offense. However, even a first-time offense could be prosecuted as a felony charge.
- Theft: Theft can take many forms. For example, robbery, shoplifting, burglary or identity theft. For these felony charges to stick, prosecutors must establish intent. Our felony defense attorneys can work to establish an intent that can protect you.
- Assault and battery: You can be charged with felony assault and/or domestic violence charges even if no physical contact occurs. If contact is established, then you can face a more severe battery charge.
- Homicide: Murder, attempted murder and manslaughter charges.
- Vehicular homicide: Depending on the facts of your case, if someone dies because of your car accident, you could be contending with a felony charge.
Call Us for a Free Consultation to Address Your Felony Charges
Have you discovered that there is an investigation against you? Is some entity alleging you have been involved in a crime that could be considered a felony? Felony charges have a high conviction rate, so you should use every legal right you have to defend yourself. Do not gamble with your future by settling for a court-appointed public defender. We can help you make sure these allegations do not define your life.
At Thompson • Garcia Law, our success stems from our decades of experience in handling felony crimes in the Bay Area and throughout Pleasanton, Dublin and Hayward. Our legal team knows that the allegations against you might require immediate attention. For this reason, we offer a free consultation in English or Spanish. Our staff is available 24 hours a day. At no cost to you, we can review the details of your arrest and let you know if we can help. Email us or call our firm at (510) 757-1878.
“This is the best of the best law firms in the Bay Area.”- Shirley T.
“This is the firm to retain if, you or a loved one finds themselves in trouble with the law!”- Linda C.
“I am very grateful for the help and support and would recommend this law firm to anybody.”- Tom K.
“The staff is amazing and was extremely patient with us and the troubles that came with our case.”- Maricela G.
“They saved me years of prison time by proving that I was falsely accused of a crime.”- Becky H.